Wilburforce Foundation is science-driven; we continually seek out knowledge from a wide range of natural and social sciences. Our Conservation Science Program invests in research to make sure the right data is available when and where the decisions are being made. And we ensure scientists, advocates and decision makers have the capacity and skills to take the science, engage in meaningful ways, and use it to inform conservation decisions.
Science and scientists are integral to planning and implementing conservation solutions. Science can be a common language that can bridge gaps between different communities and form a common basis for understanding. We believe that when scientists are part of the conversation, we get better and more durable conservation outcomes.
Wilburforce Foundation is delighted to announce that Lisa Weinstein has joined our team as the Program Officer for Science and Capacity on February 1, 2018. Read more about Lisa in the About Us section of our website.
We prioritize the synthesis and analysis of existing data where possible, with a focus on enhancing biodiversity and ecological resilience in the face of global change.
• Climate adaptation
• Ecological Economics
• Emerging opportunities to address knowledge gaps where new or better science is essential for advancing conservation in our priority regions.
Building the capacity of scientists to communicate effectively and engage in management and policy.
• Communications and policy training for scientists
• The Wilburforce Fellowship in Conservation Science
• Supporting networks of scientists in applied conservation management or policy
Building the capacity of our grantees and partners to find, access, and use technical information from the natural and social sciences that is credible, current, and accurate.
• Data sharing and collaboration
• Science support for grantees’ efforts in conservation planning, climate adaptation, and more
Ensuring policy and management decisions are made based on the best available science.
• Science integrity in the U.S. and Canada
Wilburforce Foundation does not invest in science that falls outside of our priority regions or does not have a direct tie to our programmatic strategies.